When it comes to computer security, only a few security suite products come close to Kaspersky products. With the release of the Kaspersky Internet Security 2016, the product is as effective as ever especially now that it has some interesting new features added to it compared to the last year’s edition. Here is my Kaspersky Internet Security 2016 user review having tested and used it for several months now.
In the previous edition of this suite, the fore window had four big quadrants that represented various panels labeled Scan, Safe Money, Update and Parental Control. However, with this 2016 edition, the appearance is slightly different with the four buttons aligned horizontally albeit borderless. In the case of a security problem, the status banner aligned at the top part changes its color from green to yellow and sometimes red. If this occurs, you are supposed to click the banner that in turns offers you suggestions of the feasible solutions available.
There are four different types of scan modes offered by the Kaspersky Internet Security 2016 namely;
- Full scan- this offers the most thorough scan and entails analysis of the whole system including the system’s storage and memory, hard and removable drives, startup objects, etc. I ran this scan immediately after I installed the program on my PC and have been using it once every while.
- Quick scan- usually, this scan takes only a few minutes to complete with just a few crucial items scanned.
- Selective scan- I use this mode whenever I need to scan separate files or drives.
- External device scan- I find this scan important when I need to check for devices connected to my computer such as external hard drives or USB sticks.
There are other advanced settings for use when I need to customize my scan. For example, I can easily change my program’s security level, set a specified scan schedule or even save my scan results every time I complete the process.
It’s a no-brainer that any antivirus worth its name should have regular updates if it is to function properly and be effective in protecting systems. By default, the Kaspersky Internet Security 2016 updates its virus databases automatically. However, I noted that I could configure those update settings by selecting my preferred update pattern which can range from daily, weekly or even manually.
4. Excellent spam filter
By default, the Kaspersky Internet Security 2016 comes with its antispam component disabled considering that a majority of users today get spam filtering services from their email providers. However, one thing I noted is that its ability to filter spam is top notch, perfectly filtering all the incoming POP3 and IMAP email accounts for spam. Users can, however, alter the sensitivity level settings for more improved performance.
Additional functions offered by Kaspersky Internet Security 2016
- Change control- this function helps in detecting and stopping adware that attempts to change search or home pages, install unwanted add-ons or interfere with the browser settings.
- An improved safe mode that minimizes the need for use of additional security plugins.
- Private browsing- this is another vital feature added to the Kaspersky Internet Security 2016 to help users stop online activity tracking by websites.
The key strength of the Kaspersky Internet Security 2016 lies in its very solid protection. The suite is also very easy to use and comes with several welcome additions that enhance its overall performance. It’s certainly a security suite to consider.